8 Days , 2 Countries , 4 Cities
Welcome to Frankfurt, Germany
After you arrive at Frankfurt Airport, meet your tour escort. Depending on arrival time, go on a sightseeing tour of Frankfurt. Then transfer to the designated hotel in Würzburg. Enjoy an orientation city tour followed by a welcome dinner at a local restaurant. Overnight in Würzburg.
Guided Walking Tour Würzburg and Visit the Veste in Coburg
The Würzburg Residence is among the oldest buildings in Germany. On a guided walking tour, pass many of the sights important to the city’s history: the Falkenhaus with its rococo facade, the gothic Chapel of St. Mary, the Market Square, the historic Town Hall, Neumünster church and the Alte Mainbrücke with a marvelous view of the Fortress Marienberg. Visit the Residence itself, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, designed by Balthasar Neumann and built from 1720 through 1744. It is considered one of the most important palaces in Europe. The ceiling frescoes above the grand staircase and in the impressive Imperial Hall by the Venetian artist Giovanni Battista Tiepolo are world-famous. In the afternoon, travel to Coburg for a visit of the Veste, the fortress where Martin Luther took refuge and lived during the Peace of Augsburg. The tour includes a visit to the Ducal Palace with its living apartments, the Luther Chapel, the wood-paneled Intasian Hunting Room, the Old German Art Collection, the Banqueting Hall, and Luther’s Rooms. Dinner and overnight in Bayreuth.
City tour in Bayreuth and drive to Franconian Switzerland
Bayreuth has a rich cultural and historical heritage. During a city tour, familiarize yourself with some of the most important places, such as the historic center of town, the Margravial Opera House, another UNESCO World Heritage site, and Villa Wahnfried with the graves of Cosima and Richard Wagner. To round off your tour climb the Castle Tower and enjoy the panoramic view of the Festival Theatre and the Fichtelgebirge Mountains. The New Castle was the residence of the Margraves of Bayreuth. Margrave Friedrich and the Prussian Princess Wilhelmine, sister of Friedrich the Great, are the most well-known inhabitants from the 18th century. Particularly notable rooms of the Margravine’s city residence are the Garden and Palm Room, Wilhelmine’s Music Salon and the famous Cabinet of Fragmented Mirrors. After the visit to the New Castle, drive through the typical Franconian Switzerland, passing the village of Tüchersfeld. Marvel at the timber-framed-houses, that seem to be glued onto the rocks. Continue through the romantic highland scenery with chalky white, Jurassic rock cliffs and deep ravines. In the evening, arrive in Munich. Dinner and overnight in Munich.
Discover Munich’s Fascinating Highlights
Today discover Munich’s fascinating highlights, on a sightseeing tour by bus. On a stroll through the historic center enjoy the view of famous buildings and squares, including the Marienplatz with the town hall and its glockenspiel, as well as the “Frauenkirche” with its distinctive onion dome towers. Also, discover the delicious shops that make up the Viktualienmarkt. Visit St. Peter’s Church, the Odeonsplatz, and the Munich Residence. Continue to Nymphenburg Palace, the former summer residence of the Bavarian elector princes and kings with its beautiful and spacious gardens. Enter the castle and marvel at its magnificent interiors, such as the baroque Stone Hall and the Little Beauty Gallery. And have a look at the chamber where King Ludwig II was born. In the afternoon you have some time to explore on your own. Dinner and overnight in Munich.
Visit the magnificent Herrenchiemsee Palace in Lake Chiemsee
After breakfast, a short drive brings you to Prienon the bank of Lake Chiemsee. A short boat trip takes you across the lake to the island Herreninsel for a visit to the magnificent Herrenchiemsee Palace. Built in the 19th century by King Ludwig II, this royal landmark is surrounded by the picturesque Bavarian landscape with its sparkling lakes and majestic mountains. With elegant gardens, twisting walkways, and ornate interiors of gold, glass, and porcelain, the palace reflects the King’s opulence. Some even say that many of its features, like the vast Hall of Mirrors, surpass those of the Palace of Versailles. After touring the castle, explore and enjoy its surroundings. In the late afternoon, the boat will take you back to Prien. Dinner and overnight in Prien.
Explore Germany’s Most Famous Castle! Neuschwanstein and Beautiful Linderhof Palace
Today explore Germany’s most famous castle! Neuschwanstein, perched high up on a mountain in the Alps, fascinates with its shimmering white towers that appear to be touching the clouds. The castle seems to be plucked straight out of a fairytale book, so it is no surprise that it inspired Walt Disney’s Sleeping Beauty Castle. It was originally built according to King Ludwig II’s wishes and dreams of owning his medieval-looking castle. The majestic façade conceals an unbelievable splendor inside: very exquisite furniture, luxurious decors, and masterly art. The journey will continue to beautiful Linderhof Palace, which is another one of King Ludwig’s II Royal Bavarian Castles. This is the only one he lived to see completed. The Palace, although much smaller than Neuschwanstein, also displays a unique neo-rococo splendor and reflects King Ludwig’s fascination with the French Ancient Régime. After the visit, continue to the “Passion Play village with heart”, Oberammergau. Dinner and overnight in the Oberammergau area.
Explore the lovely village Oberammergau and Take your seat in The Passion Play
Oberammergau is not only known for its Passion Play but also, its woodcarving craft and its colorful and attractive frescos known as Lüftlmalereien. In the morning you can explore the lovely village, the museum, the parish church and visit a wood carving workshop. Lunch will be served at a local restaurant. Then it is time to take your seat in the Passion Play Theater. All the actors, musicians, and singers, as well as the backstage staff, are residents of Oberammergau. Between the different scenes from the last days of the life of Jesus Christ, admire the “living pictures”, displaying moments from the bible as still lives with real people. After about 2 and a half hours it is time for a break. Dinner waits for you at a restaurant in the region. Afterward, you have the opportunity to stroll around in the village. After the 3-hour break, the second part of the play begins. When the play has finished return to your hotel. Overnight in the Oberammergau area.
Depart to Munich Airport Back Home
Today it is time to say goodbye to Germany. After check out, transfer to Munich airport to catch your flight back home. We trust you will leave with a lot of great memories and fascinating experiences. Hopefully, we will see you again soon.
- 5 overnight stays in hotels of the chosen category (1x in Würzburg, 1x in Bayreuth, 2x in Munich, 1x in the Chiemsee area)
- 2 overnight stays in the Oberammergau region in the chosen category
- Daily breakfast buffet at the hotels
- Deluxe air-conditioned motorcoach for all transfers, touring, and sightseeing – from Frankfurt airport to Munich airport.
- English speaking tour escort – from airport to airport
- 1 x Welcome dinner at a local restaurant in Würzburg
- 5 x Dinner at the hotel (either menu or buffet) or a local restaurant
- 1 x Dinner served during the break of the Passion Play (3-course menu)
- Beverage package during the Passion Play dinner (incl. mineral water, soft drinks, beer, wine by the glass, coffee, and tea)
- Luggage service at the hotels (where available, 1 piece of luggage per person, in & out)
- Local English speaking guides for
- 5 hours: Munich
- 3 hours: Würzburg, Bayreuth
- 1.5 hours: Veste Coburg
- 0.5 hours: Herrenchiemsee Palace, Neuschwanstein Castle, Linderhof Castle
- Entrance fees for
- Würzburg: Residence // Coburg: Veste Coburg // Bayreuth: New Castle // Munich: Nymphenburg Castle // Herreninsel: Herrenchiemsee Palace // Hohenschwangau: Neuschwanstein Castle // Ettal: Linderhof Castle
- Boat ride on Lake Chiemsee from Prien to Herreninsel and back
- Carriage ride to and from the Herrenchiemsee Palace
- Headphone-system during the whole tour
- Ticket to the Passion Play in the chosen category
- Program booklet of the Passion Play including the text of the play (in English)
- All visitor and city taxes
Sightseeing Highlights Included
- Walking tour in Würzburg
- The Falkenhaus with its rococo facade
- The Gothic Chapel of St. Mary
- The Market Square
- The historic Town Hall
- Neumünster church
- The Alte Mainbrücke with a marvelous view of the Fortress Marienberg
- Visit Würzburg Residence
- Travel to Coburg for a visit to the fortress Veste where Martin Luther took refuge and lived during the Peace of Augsburg.
- Visit the Ducal Palace with its living apartments, the Luther Chapel, the wood-paneled Intasian Hunting Room, the Old German Art Collection, the Banqueting Hall, and Luther’s Rooms.
- City tour of Bayreuth
- The Margravial Opera House
- Villa Wahnfried with the graves of Cosima and Richard Wagner
- Climb the Castle Tower and enjoy the panoramic view of the Festival Theatre and the Fichtelgebirge Mountains.
- Visit The New Castle
- Drive through typical Franconian Switzerland, passing the village of Tüchersfeld.
- Sightseeing tour by bus, including the Marienplatz
- Discover the delicious shops that make up the Viktualienmarkt.
- Visit St. Peter’s Church, the Odeonsplatz, and the Munich Residence.
- Explore Nymphenburg Palace, the former summer residence of the Bavarian elector princes and kings with its beautiful and spacious gardens.
- Visit Prienon the bank of Lake Chiemsee.
- Take a short boat trip to the island Herreninsel for a visit to the magnificent Herrenchiemsee Palace.
- Explore Germany’s most famous castle! Neuschwanstein
- Continue the journey by visiting the beautiful Linderhof Palace, which is another one of King Ludwig’s II Royal Bavarian Castles
- Visit “Passion Play village with heart”, Oberammergau
- Explore the lovely village, the museum, the parish church, and visit a wood carving workshop.
- Take your seat in the Passion Play Theater.
- Witness different scenes from the last days of the life of Jesus Christ
- Admire the “living pictures”, displaying moments from the bible as still live with real people.
9 Days , 8 Cities
9 Days , 9 Cities
8 Days , 2 Countries , 3 Cities
7 Days , 2 Countries , 4 Cities