11 Days , 5 Cities
Welcome to Spain
Welcome to the Spain. Upon arrival, meet with your English-speaking driver and transfer to your accommodating hotel. Spend the day at leisure day to relax and rest after your overseas flight.
The first route of our journey takes us to the Bilbao Airport, designed by the renowned architect Calatrava, followed by another landmark of contemporary art, Frank O. Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum, the newest icon of the Basque Country’s industrial capital city. We will further explore this refurbished city with a scenic tour that takes us from the newer suburbs to the historic old town and its Seven Streets, where we will have our first encounter with the Path of Saint James while visiting the Santiago church, nowadays a Cathedral. Travel to Logroño for overnight.
Logrono - Nájera - Burgos
In the morning we will visit the old section of Logroño, the capital city of La Rioja and shall follow in the footsteps of those who have made the pilgrimage, along the Old Route with the late Gothic church of Santiago, the Fountain of the Pilgrims and the Shelter, as well as the con-Cathedral and the church of St. Bartholomew.
The Calle Mayor in Navarrete will guide us along with homes and palaces, leading to the Romanesque gate of the cemetery. We will go on to Nájera, the former venue for the Kings of Navarre, some of whom are buried in the monastery of Santa María la Real. Our next stop will be Santo Domingo de la Calzada, a site created for those making the pilgrimage, with its walls, a beautiful Main Square, pilgrimage hospital, and its noted Romanesque-Gothic Cathedral.
On our way to Burgos, we will ascend the hills to find, in the midst of nature, the late Romanesque church of San Juan de Ortega, another landmark created for and by the pilgrim.
Possibility of hiking along the Path of Saint James from Ermita de Valdefuentes to San Juan de Ortega (4 miles). Overnight in Burgos.
Burgos welcomes us with its tale of the origins of Castile at the Renaissance gate of Santa María, with special reference to the historical figure named El Cid. We will visit the Cathedral, an outstanding example of Gothic architecture and World Heritage Site. A walk through the city will take us to the Casa del Cordón, the Main Square, the Paseo del Espolón promenade, and the Consulate. On the outskirts, we will discover two great monuments: the Cistercian monastery of Las Huelgas, a royal pantheon from the 13th century; and the Cartuja de Miraflores, church and burial place for the parents of Isabella the Catholic, Queen of Castile. Possibility of celebrating or attending Holy Mass. Overnight in Burgos.
Burgos - Fromista - Carrion - Leon
We resume our journey along the Path of Saint James in the Castilian plains as we encounter the narrow Arch of Saint Antón near Castrojeriz. Possibility of hiking along the Path of Saint James from Hontanas to Castrojeriz (5.6 Miles – 9 km).
Awaiting us in Frómista is the church of Saint Martin, one of the purest examples of Romanesque.
A few kilometers away lies a village with an important Jacobean past: Carrión de Los Condes with its magnificent Romanesque façades in the churches of Santiago and Santa María del Camino.
Sahagún will take us to the Mudéjar style brick of the church of San Tirso, while San Miguel de la Escalada represents the other medieval Arabic style from the north of Spain known as Mozárabe. Overnight in León.
Leon - Astorga - Ponferrada
As one of the capitals of Medieval Spain, León offers Romanesque style works of art in painting, sculpture, and architecture in San Isidoro, and one of the most important collections of stained glass in its Gothic cathedral.
We cannot leave without first contemplating the beautiful façade of the former pilgrimage hospital of San Marcos, nowadays a Parador.
Our journey will take us to Astorga, another city of Roman origin, with its picture-perfect Roman and Medieval city wall, its Gothic Cathedral, and its Modernist Episcopal Palace, designed by famous architect Antonio Gaudí.
A traditional “Maragato” lunch near Astorga.
In the afternoon we will traverse one of the most authentic and untouched sections of the Path of Saint James -Rabanal del Camino, Cruz de Ferro, and Molinaseca- ending at Ponferrada, known for its famous castle of the Knights Templar.
Possibility of hiking the Path of Saint James from Acebo to Molinaseca (4.7 Miles – 7,6 km). Overnight in Ponferrada.
Ponferrada - O Cebreiro - Sarria - Portomarin - Santiago de Compostela
Villafranca, the ancient capital of El Bierzo offers an important urban setting in which the Romanesque church of Santiago stands out. Here is where pilgrims began their climb to O Cebreiro, the entry gate to Galicia. This hamlet surprises with its particular architecture and the legend that surrounds its humble church.
Possibility of celebrating or attending Holy Mass.
We will continue our journey along with the green countryside of Galicia until arriving at the Miño River in Portomarín, where we will discover the Romanesque church-fortress of Saint Nicholas.
Possibility of hiking along the Path of Saint James from Sarria to Mouzós (3.8 Miles – 6,2 km). Overnight in Santiago.
Santiago de Compostela
A walk through the narrow streets of the historic district will lead us to the Cathedral of Santiago that, since its construction, has been the object of almost all the Christian pilgrimages, and the monumental Plaza del Obradoiro, surrounded by granite works of art. Possibility of attending the Pilgrims’ Holy Mass. Possibility of organizing a special farewell dinner. Overnight in Santiago.
Santiago de Compostela Airport
After breakfast, free and relax on your tour until to be picked up by the driver, then transferred you to the airport for departure flight back your home.
Starting from $ per person
Price per person in double occupancy
The rate is based on 4-star accommodation
Price excluding international flights
This trip is customizable for your private travel.
Please inquire to request a quote for your custom trip!
Request a quote for a trip fully customized to your preferences.
- 7-night hotel accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis
- 1-Lunch – 1-Dinner
- Airport assistance
- Private transfers from/to airport on arrival and departure
- Sightseeing in a modern air-conditioned vehicle
- The English-speaking guide throughout the trip
- Entrance fees to places of interest while touring
- 24/7 guest support during the trip
Sightseeing Highlights Included
- Scenic Tour the historic old town of Bilboa and visit the Santiago church.
- Visit the capital city of La Rioja, Logrono, along the old Route the Gothic church of Santiago, the Fountain of the Pilgrims and the Shelter, the con-Cathedral, and the church of St. Bartholomew.
- Visit the city of Burgos, the Santa Maria Cathedral in Burgos, the Casa del Cordón, the Main Square, the Paseo del Espolón promenade.
- Outskirts of Burgos discover two great monuments: the Cistercian monastery of Las Huelgas, and the Cartuja de Miraflores.
- Explore the narrow Arch of Saint Antón near Castrojeriz along the Path of Saint James in the Castilian.
- Visit the church of Saint Martin in Fromista.
- Stop to see the churches of Santiago and Santa María del Camino in Carrión de Los Condes.
- Visit the church of San Tirso in Sahagun.
- The city tour in Leon which is one of the capitals of Medieval Spain.
- Visit the former pilgrimage hospital of San Marcos, nowadays a Parador.
- Discover the city of Roman origin Astorga and have a traditional (Maragato) lunch near Astorga.
- Explore one of the most authentic and untouched sections of the Path of Saint James -Rabanal del Camino, Cruz de Ferro, and Molinaseca- ending at Ponferrada, known for its famous castle of the Knights Templar.
- Visit the church of Santiago in Villafranca, the ancient capital of El Bierzo.
- Discover the Romanesque church-fortress of Saint Nicholas in Portomarin.
- Walk through the narrow streets to see the Cathedral of Santiago in Santiago.
13 Days , 3 Countries , 8 Cities
11 Days , 5 Cities
11 Days , 6 Cities
9 Days , 6 Cities
9 Days , 5 Cities
12 Days , 5 Cities
25 Days , 2 Countries , 10 Cities
12 Days , 5 Cities
9 Days , 5 Cities
9 Days , 4 Cities
10 Days , 6 Cities
18 Days , 7 Cities
8 Days , 7 Cities
7 Days , 3 Cities
18 Days , 2 Countries , 12 Cities
9 Days , 4 Cities